Monday 5th

I wanted to do a bit of testing of the cabling between the computer and the room itself. If you have read earlier posts you'l know the computer will reside in the airlock and connected by cables under the floor. I will be making a desk but I wanted something temporary just to check it out so I made use of some steel from a disassembled office desk attaching a scrap piece of timber between the legs and adding a back brace to stop it wobbling. I placed a piece of MDF on the top  to give a decent size surface. This worked out pretty well and provides enough space for a couple of monitors (screens), keyboard, mouse etc. I also made a small shelf in the airlock for the PC box to sit on.

I have a spare computer to use for testing purposes which I placed on the shelf and connected all of the cabling up. The space is very tight but it fits in there quite nicely actually. I hooked up my 24" monitor to one of the DVI cables in the room and fired up the system. All good and it even runs at the full 1920 x 1200 native resolution of the display even on the long cables. I had issues with this on my DAW when I tested a while back and I could only seem to get it working reliably at 1920 x 1080. Great news - so I'll probably put this graphics card in the DAW when I try it again.

I have just ordered a couple of 24" 1920 x 1080 displays so I might use the original 1920 x 1200 along with one of the newer ones side-by-side. But I'll do some further testing these arrive to see what combination works best with Cubase 7, Wavelab 8, HALion 5 etc.

Tuesday 6th

I had the day off from work today as it is my daughter's 7th birthday and I had a bit of time to do some further checks, for example connecting up the homeplugs between the studio and the house's CAT6 network, which worked a treat. I do have CAT5 cables running into the house but I haven't got these connected into the home network yet so this will be fine for the time being.